1. The Dolphin offense has to be aware of the hype surrounding its “great” preseason, especially Ryan Tannehill. I keep reading about the 3 TD passes he threw in the pre-season. But the writers seems to forget that those were aided by defense penalties on 3rd-and-goal. And two of the passes were on 4th down, which won’t happen in a real game.
This offense could be very overrated, and Sunday will begin to show us.
2. The defensive backs. Kirk Cousins is like a gift to the Dolphins. Miami never handles fast, scrambling QBs well, so it’s very generous (and ludicrous) for Washington to bench RG3. Thank you for that gift. Anyway, I’ll be keeping my eye on Walt Aikens and Bryce McCain. Even on running plays, it’s important that they be in the right place. I think if they do okay in Week 1, it will mean a lot for the rest of the season.
3. Joe Philbin. I’m hoping for a more aggressive Philbin this season, but I’d settle for a more intelligent Philbin. He cannot make the same decisions that he’s made the last three years and expect things to change. Sadly, I feel he is too stubborn to change and too ignorant to learn/listen to others who are smarter than him.
4. The running game. When Lamar Miller comes out for a breather, we have Damien Williams to step in. I am no fan of Williams, so I’ll be keeping a close eye on him. LaMike James would be next, and then newly re-signed Jonas Gray.
5. The rookies. All of them. Let’s see how they do in a real game. Especially the kicker and punter.