I cannot wait for Laremy Tunsil to face off in practice against Dion Jordan. It will be my greatest blog post ever that day! Can’t wait to write captions for that photo!
But seriously, folks…I was up half the night following every story I could on Laremy Tunsil, and every minute that went by seemed to be a new development. Shockingly, the apologists were out as well, making their case that it’s only pot, so no big deal (more on those fools later).
The main story, as we all must know, is that the Dolphins have generated yet another negative media storm upon themselves. The Dolphins are international news this morning, and as usual it has nothing to do with the playing field.
- Laremy Tunsil appears in a video smoking an insane amount of some drug via a McGyvered mega-mask-bong.
- Laremy’s text messages appear, asking his coach for rent money.
- Further texts appear, asking a coach for money for a utility bill for his mom of $305. Where was Mrs. Tunsil buying her electricity from anyway? ($305 should be an annual bill, not monthly).
- It’s not just that Tunsil was seen smoking drugs…it’s that he was stupid enough to let a friend film him. Why didn’t this giant stand up and say, “That video can cost me a career” and beat the crap out of the videographer and smash the phone?
- He was already suspended in college for breaking ethics rules. Hell, just beginning a sentence with “he was already suspended for…” should be a red flag.
- Reports of Tunsil’s arrest record began to surface. Yeah, it was allegedly defending his mom and the victim/stepdad dropped the charges, but still… an arrest record is an arrest record.
- Tunsil’s agent’s representative had to race into Tunsil’s news conference last night and break it up because Tunsil was digging his own grave deeper and deeper with each word he said.
The Dolphins are fine with all that kind of behavior. (But God forbid one of their Pro Bowlers teases a teammate…THAT calls for automatic dismissal and a bullying scandal).
The problem is that the Dolphins are being naive that every single one of those issues is entirely in the past. They are naive to think that Tunsil is intelligent, given the items noted above. And these are just items we discovered in the last 24 hours! Imagine what other nonsense this kid was up to that we don’t know about yet!
Again, smoking a bowl might be forgivable nowadays, and that’s not my point. My point is that he wasn’t smart enough to do it privately, nor was he bright enough last night to keep his trap shut about receiving illegal college benefits.
Can all his brawn and football smarts make up for some stupid youthful decisions? Absolutely, and we hope for the best. We’re on his side because Dolfans have to be. But this is not the case of one little indiscretion many many years ago. It could be warning signs that it’s a way of life.
I read several posts from writers last night calling Tunsil the victim of a hacker. Yes he is a victim of a hacker. But if a hacker publishes photos of you committing a crime, does your victim status suddenly go away? No.
Can you say “but it’s only pot” and it suddenly becomes legal? Maybe in some states, but never when you’re under 21.
Can you defend yourself by saying “Every college player gets a secret perk or two?” yes, you can say that if you do indeed keep your perks secret. But when you’ve already been suspended for Perk #1 and then you go to a press conference and admit you asked for Perk #2…that is no longer a secret.
And that does not warrant sympathy.