Well, there’s a lot to cover in this crazy, wacky, unprecendented 2020.
First of all, while we don’t know the details and the exact plans, there is one thing to say. Ryan Fitzpatrick is our QB. Several ways to look at this situation, and again, we don’t know the details and we don’t know if Brian Flores is being coy, but here are the possibilities:
- Josh Rosen and Tua were BOTH not good enough to beat out a 60-year-old journeyman QB for a job.
- Both Rosen and Tua were better, but it came down to money. (Not likely, since Tua and Rosen are on their dirt-cheap rookie deals)
- Tua is a stud, but they aren’t letting him play due to precaution with his injuries.
- Rosen simply didn’t pan out (again) like he didn’t pan out in Arizona. He could be like Jay Cutler, seemingly can’t miss when he was drafted, but never amounted to much. Or he could still excel, and the Dolphins gave up too soon and got too little in return (Rosen was cut, not traded, so we get nothing in return). He since signed on to be Tom Brady’s backup in Tampa Bay.
- LOTS (and I mean a ton) of talk about how Fitzpatrick knows Chan Gailey’s offense better than the other 2 guys. This is true. But if chan Gailey is still using the same offense he did 10 years ago with Fitzpatrick as his QB, then we’re in trouble. Hopefully Gailey’s scheming has changed in the past decade to the point where Fitzpatrick and everyone else has to learn anew. So anyway, maybe they gave the job to Fitz because he has a handle on the new/old offense. (Which implies that Tua did NOT learn the new offense as quickly as he should have.
The Dolphins picked up Lynn Bowden in a trade with the Raiders, and I’m already questioning this. We already have about 75 running backs on the team, plus it seems the Raiders were upset with Bowden’s work ethic. If they got rid of him because he was spending too much time in the Vegas nightlife (as was reported), just imagine what South Beach will do to this young man. Flores has said that Bowden won’t play this week, but we’ll see.
Our offensive line will have 2 rookies, two off-season free agents, and veteran Jesse Davis. In a normal training camp, I’d be excited about this perhaps. But THIS year, with 2 rookies and 2 new guys–PLUS a whole new offense? It’s gonna be a disaster. Other teams already know their offense. Our guys do not. A strong skill set can make up for a lack of experience. And great experience can make up for average skills. But when we don’t know too much about either aspect of these guys? AND they begin their Dolphin careers going up against a Belichick defense? Oh boy. I hope Fitzpatrick and our RBs have insurance!